The Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart were founded in 1874. In 1885, the Sisters left France and settled in Australia. In 1947, the Daughters of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart arrived in Adelaide to commence teaching in Kilburn. Kilburn was growing very rapidly and the Sisters were also asked to take responsibility for other schools.
They commenced secondary teaching at Enfield on 13 February, 1951. Classes were started in what had been the home of the Ragless family, in the first house in Adelaide built on the north side of the Torrens (on the site of the present tennis courts).
In 1995 the Daughters of our Lady of the Sacred Heart transferred ownership of the College to the Catholic Education Office. Joy Bedford was appointed as the first the non-congregational Principal. Maria Urbano was appointed as the second non-congreational Principal in 2016.
Our Crest expresses the origins, aims and spirit of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart College. The Latin motto – Regnet Christus – means ‘May Christ Reign’.
By our actions we live out Jesus’ love, and in doing so we bring peace, joy, justice and hope to our community.
The heart, placed centrally, signifies Jesus’ love: the cross in the heart reminds us of love that perseveres: the flames indicate the power of that love: the crown symbolises the Kingdom of God. The Latin initials for Our Lady – Domina Nostra – by their position close to the heart show Mary’s close relationship to Jesus.